Monday, July 17, 2017

Words Of Wisdom For 2017 And Beyond


In years past I have asked marketing and business leaders for their predictions for the coming year. I have done so with the twist of infusing their prediction with a pop culture reference.
This year I decided to change things up a little. I've expanded my network to include influential people from other walks of life. Still incorporating pop culture I asked folks to provide me with the best piece of advice they have ever received OR they wish to pass onto others.  The example I gave was this quote from The Godfather II“Keep your friends close. But your enemies closer.” The advice or lesson you impart could be something like “Never lose sight of your competition. Stay close to them. Watch them. And yes, even learn from them - not just what to do but also what NOT to do."
One other twist this year is I have added my own take on each contribution.
Yes I realize this is not exactly an "end of the year" post as this could be done ANY time of the year but... just play along.

I have spent a good amount of my career in sales.  From business development at the street level to mass selling to selling my ideas inside a large organization. No matter what job you have and no matter your rank life throws many obstacles at you and hits pretty hard. Getting hit from time to time is inevitable, but you have to keep getting up and knocking on that next door, asking for the order, and believing in your ideas.  If you stay down after being hit you’ve lost. Get up and keep moving forward no matter what and you can win. - Randall Rozin, Global Director, Brand Management and Digital Marketing at Dow Corning
My take: This one strikes a personal nerve because of the Rocky reference. Randall is 1000% right of course in that we all get "hit" from time to time. But you simply must not let it keep you down. Keep moving forward. As Nike says, just do it.

My advice is don't spend too much energy revisiting what you said in a meeting, obsessing about that look on your boss's face and letting your own insecurities create a false narrative. The boss probably isn't sitting at home telling her husband about how you could have been more assertive in a meeting. They're probably making dinner and playing with their kids. Pay attention to the real signals and stop obsessing over yourself. - Denise Karkos, CMO TDAmeritrade
My take: Focus on what really matters is how I translate this. Denise is spot on when she says "stop obsessing over yourself." Don't overthink it. Once again, just do it.
###
Always stay humble and kind" from the song Humble & Kind by Tim McGraw- Jane Abell, Chairwoman of the Board, Donato's Pizza
My take: Very straightforward advice here from Jane. If you stay humble and kind, karma will be on your side and trust me, that's a very good thing.
###
You're broken down and tired, of living life on a merry go round...
And you can't find the fighter, but I see it in you so we gonna walk it out... And move mountains" from the song Rise Up by Andra Day
On our teams, and throughout our organization, we believe we have the opportunity, responsibility and honor to use our platform of sports and entertainment to change the world. One of our Corporate Values, “Move Mountains” suggests as much. We take that commitment and pledge very seriously; contributing more than 25,000 volunteer hours annually in the communities where our fans live, work and play surrounding Philadelphia and Newark, NJ.



Featured Posts

Beautiful American Bully Pups for Sale

 

Popular Posts