When I read that book I fell under the employee quadrant, but I knew that if I ever wanted to make serious money, I had to get into the right type of quadrant – either the business owner or the investor quadrant (the investor quadrant is actually the best).
When I first started as a financial advisor, I was still an employee. I had the ability to make my own hours and to grow my business as much as I could, but I also had a lot of restrictions.
My first step was crossing over into being self-employed. Just by making that shift, I saw a 30% increase in income in my first year. Since then, I’ve become a business owner – and now I consider myself also to be an investor. As a business owner, I own my wealth management firm. I own my blog, GoodFinancialCents.com, and I also own a few other online properties that all yield me income.
Yes, blogging can be very lucrative – I’ve made over $1,097,757 from blogging. In fact, I could almost consider my blog as an investment; while blogs do require some upkeep, they certainly do not require nearly the upkeep needed for my financial planning practice.
I’m certainly not the only person who has made a lot of money online. Steve Chou’s wife replaced her $100,000 income with an online store so she could be a stay-at-home mom. John Lee Dumas has made over $2 million from his podcast.  It’s amazing what you can do if you put your mind to it.
Whether you are thinking about starting an online business or growing your brick and mortar business, it all goes back to working hard now. But you know what? You have to work hard at the right things or you’ll just be spinning your wheels.
My current businesses are the result of several business ventures that didn’t work out. I tried multilevel marketing on a few occasions (yuck!). I tried real estate. I tried a solo 401(k) business.
None of these worked out for me. In some, I lost a lot of money. In others, it was just a waste of time. But in all those experiences, I learned one thing . . . it is important that you adopt the mantra: “Win or learn, never lose.”

9. Try Real Estate

Speaking of real estate, although it didn’t work out for me and it’s not right for everyone, it has certainly worked out for others. I asked Brandon Turner from BiggerPockets.com just how quickly real estate investing can help individuals build wealth. Here’s what he had to say:
Real estate investing may not make you wealthy overnight, but it can add zeros to your net worth in a shorter timeframe than many other traditional investments. For example, purchasing a fixer-upper house, rehabbing the property, and selling it for more can net you a significant windfall if you do it correctly. Just be sure to buy low, rehab smart, and sell fast. House flipping, as this process is called, is largely a math game, and significant profits can be made by those willing to take on the challenge.
Another strategy that can help you add wealth quickly through real estate is by purchasing multifamily properties that produce significant monthly cash flow. This cash flow can be saved and reinvested into more deals, creating a domino effect that will allow you to exponentially grow your real estate portfolio.
For more information, read The Ultimate Beginner’s Guide to Real Estate Investing from BiggerPockets.com.

Concluding Thoughts on Building Wealth Fast

To build wealth really fast, you’re not going to get there by investing $50 to $100 per month into a Roth IRA. While yes, it’s great as a long-term strategy, it’s not going to make a difference in the short-term. A lot of financial advisers I talked to don’t want to encourage you to take that risk now. Heck, I was one of those financial advisors several years ago.
While not letting you know about all the wealth-building options isn’t financial malpractice, it’s certainly better if your financial advisor gives you a variety of options based on your financial goals – even when it doesn’t help his pocketbook. It’s always a good idea to talk to several professional investors to see what has worked for them. The best question you can ask any financial professional is how they are investing their money – it will speak volumes.
Let’s step back for a moment. You might be thinking: “How in the world can I learn and do all this stuff? Is it even possible?”
Don’t think that you have to do everything. Instead, focus on a few things and do them well. It all starts by investing in yourself. Listen to podcasts, read books, take millionaires out for lunch (yes, you buy).
You can start by subscribing an excellent podcast by Lewis Howes: The School of Greatness Podcast. There, you will become equipped to think differently about yourself and your wealth. It’s fantastic.
As you make it a habit to find ways to better yourself, you’ll also find new potential ways to build wealth faster than ever. Everyone does it differently, and nobody will do it exactly like you. You’re unique and you’ll find a way. Just give yourself a chance! I’m so glad I gave myself a chance to succeed. You will be too.